A fast and effective brand redesign
Understanding the challenge
Carlos Castell, a friend, actor, and entrepreneur, reached out to me to suggest taking part in a design and branding competition. The challenge was to create a new corporate identity for Academa TV quickly – in less than one month. To make it happen, I researched the brand beforehand.
Old Brand value proposition
- Entity: It is a non-profit and declared of public interest.
- History: Founded in 1997, currently the president is Maria Casado, since 2018. New direction.
- Multiplicity: It brings together multiple representatives of entities related to the Spanish Television ecosystem in the council.
- Focus: It is cultural, scientific and informative. In a serious, solvent and professional way.
Old main values
- Promotion and defense of television professionals.
- Recognition and incentive of outstanding projects.
- Analysis of the economic, political and labor vectors of television.
- Boosting training through scholarships and the TV Museum.
- Supporting the development and improvement of specialties of the Television ecosystem.
- Boosting technical research.
- Financing the Project “Living Treasures”.
The color range of the sector is very varied, there is no main color to compete with except blue.
Blue is a color semiotically related to technology.
Old brand colors
The old academatv has a range of colors with a high contrast range. This is good from a graphical point of view.
In nature and human semiotics, this combination of colors (more yellow than orange) represent danger, alert, warning.
Think and design a new value proposition
After analyzing the brand, I set this goal:
To bring AcademiaTV up to the level of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
To define it I build a matrix of potential new brand values simple and understandable, that allow everyone to be oriented in a clear and ambitious direction:
Make the work visible and clear with an open communication plan.
Make a culture outside of your organization that lets other people and experts work together more easily.
Being a plural entity, create a structure where empowerment and responsibilities are more evenly distributed.
Let everyone know that Academia TV is open to everyone, to learn, help, work together, or just have fun.
New brand goal
Place Television and its professionals at the center focusing on TV and the people who make it.
Solve and create the brand assets.
Shift the black color to a less dark color, to avoid such a range of contrast and alert triggers in the brains of people who see the brand.
It is recommended to keep the current name, without variations or additions. In order to avoid having to deploy a large and costly magnitude.
If it is relevant and advisable to create a formal difference, with some element of Gestalt that highlights the protagonist: TELEVISION and its professionals.
The text that serves as a surname and definition to the current Anagram has a similarity and relative positioning to the Academy of Arts and Cinematographic Sciences of Spain.
Leverage similarities to better position the brand, thus changing the tagline.